W.W. Caruth, Jr. Foundation
William Walter Caruth, Jr.’s philanthropic goals were to support frontier-advancing projects in public safety, education, and scientific and medical research. We are honored to continue the legacy of his generosity through strategic grantmaking while he was living and further carry out the wishes of his estate.
Click here to learn more about W.W. Caruth, Jr. Foundation grantmaking
W. W. Caruth, Jr. Foundation is housed here and represents the largest endowment in the organization’s portfolio. Throughout the last 20 years, W.W. Caruth, Jr. Foundation has made more than $110 million in grants, such as:
- $15 million grant to the Dallas Police Department, the largest private donation given to a police department in United States history.
- A $3.5 million grant to the American Heart Association which makes it possible for North Texas hospitals to reduce the time it takes a heart attack patient to receive lifesaving treatment. The collaboration will transform patient care for future heart attack victims and position Dallas County as a national leader in heart attack treatment and survival.
- $3 million grant to build a groundbreaking juvenile delinquency prevention program at Big Brothers Big Sisters to keep high-risk youth in school and out of jail.
- $2 million grant to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas and the Dallas Area Rape Crisis Center for the county’s first comprehensive sexual assault treatment program. The grant will support forensic exam suites, nurse examiner training, post-trauma counseling and advocacy.
- $1MM grant to expand and enhance Big Thought’s Thriving Minds initiative, a coordinated system of comprehensive Out of School Time learning for DISD students.
William Walter Caruth, Jr.
Backing the Blue:
A $15 million grant from the W.W. Caruth, Jr. Foundation at Communities Foundation of Texas to the Dallas Police Department (DPD) was the largest ever made from the foundation created by Will Caruth and entrusted to CFT, and also the largest grant on record made through a public foundation to a police department anywhere in the country. Read the story
$15M to Dallas Police Department
Monica Egert Smith
Senior Director of Strategic Philanthropy
Contact me if you have questions about the W.W. Caruth, Jr. Foundation.